October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month! THINK PINK with these tips to help overcome breast cancer:
- For all women: Follow a healthy lifestyle! Be physically active, minimize alcohol intake, eat your fruits and vegetables and don’t smoke.
- For young women: Breast-feed your babies for as long as possible. Women who breast-feed their babies for at least a year in total have a reduced risk of developing breast cancer.
- If you are over 40, get a mammogram! Early detection of breast cancer offers the best chance for a cure.
- For postmenopausal women: Avoid hormone replacement therapy. Menopausal hormone therapy increases risk for breast cancer.
- Know your risk. Tell your doctor if you have family members who have had breast cancer, especially a mother or sister, and if they had breast cancer before reaching menopause because your own risk of cancer may be higher than average.