May is Mental Health Awareness Month! Mental illnesses affect 1 in 4 people. By talking about mental health you are raising awareness and by raising awareness, you are helping to give confidence to those suffering and helping them to talk about how they feel. Here are some tips you can use for your own mental health:
- Take care of yourself. Eat nutritious meals, drink lots of water, exercise and get enough rest!
- Surround yourself with positive people. Strong family and social connections are a healthy support network.
- Value yourself. Treat yourself with kindness and respect and avoid self-criticism. Make time for hobbies, projects and broaden your horizons.
- Learn how to deal with stress. Practice good coping skills.
- Quiet your mind. Relaxation exercises, meditation and prayer can improve your state of mind.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs.
- Get help when you need it. Seeking help is a sign of strength – not weakness.
- Break up routine and try something different! A change of pace and space can perk up your mood.