August is celebrated as Psoriasis Awareness Month! Here are some facts on Psoriasis:
- Psoriasis is the most common type of autoimmune disease in the United States with as many as 7.5 million people afflicted.
- A common misconception is that psoriasis is somehow contagious.
- Many cases of psoriasis have accompanied other health complications like hypertension, heart attack, diabetes, and depression.
- Research has shown how this disease can impact a person’s emotions. Most people who have been diagnosed with psoriasis state that it makes them feel embarrassed and even helpless.
- There are a plenty of treatment options available for patients with psoriasis, but there is still no cure for this disease.
- A significant percentage of psoriasis patients may end up developing psoriatic arthritis. The symptoms of this disease can reflect those of rheumatoid arthritis (swollen, painful, and stiff joints)